by Matt Mattson
A few months back we got this wonderful request from an advisor (Seneca Crump) at Ohio State.
We want to develop a list of common language that Phired Up utilizes to work with chapters around growth so we can begin normalizing this language into our coaching practices. Do you all already have a list of common terminology/words used with Phired Up? In addition, we will be walking the students through steps to developing a successful, comprehensive recruitment plan for their chapter, and I wanted to know if you had any access to recruitment plan outlines/templates that we could utilize as a reference to re-create our own?
This question was so good, we wanted to share our response publicly as sort of a “crib sheet” to help advisors work with chapters. Thanks Seneca!
- Who are your chapter’s “workhorses“? Who is the team you’ll gather together regularly and know you can trust to do the hard work of chapter growth? When will this group be having meetings to do outreach, follow-up, and planning work regularly?
- How can I help you get your ChapterBuilder account set up, organized, and ready for immediate use?
- What is your chapter’s criteria for selecting the right members? How will you ensure you’re evaluating a prospect’s riskiness, values-alignment, and culture fit? How will you do that in an inclusive and equitable way? A chapter’s answers might be somewhat “secret,” but these questions are vital.
- How will you drive names onto your Names List? What tactics will you use to intentionally network, meet non-members, and give yourself a chance to recruit them?
- What is your plan for building relationships with prospective members? Show me how you’ll organize events, activities, one-on-one meetings, interviews, etc. Are all of these plans likely to build authentic, trust-filled relationships?
- How will you create intentional human-to-human opportunities for people to consider, discuss, and accept an invitation to membership? “Closing the deal” is a commonly under-planned portion of the growth process.
- Do you have a growth coach that is consistently asking you questions like this to help you systemize your plan?
Chapter Growth Vocabulary/Concepts