by Matt Mattson
“In times of uncertainty, seek simplicity.”
“When it feels like everything is shaky, plant your feet firmly.”
“When the fog rolls in, turn on your iPhone flashlight.”
Those three quotes were all artfully crafted by yours truly in an effort to pen a timeless aphorism that might provide guidance during these uncertain times.
Did I nail it? I think I nailed at least one of them. Let me know which one you end up quoting the most. @ me in all your #mondaymorningmotivation Insta posts!
Wise quotes aside, you might be wondering what to focus on in this moment. Perhaps you’re dealing with…
-Questions about in-person or virtual (school, recruitment, intake, etc.)
-A group of chapter leaders who are inexperienced and untrained
-A yet unplanned schedule and approach to your membership growth this year
-Navigating local, state, federal, and institutional rules around masking, vaxxing, etc.
-Councils constantly shifting rules and processes around chapter growth
-Transitioning professional staff who have either just left or just started
Well, friend… in times like these, you konw what I always say… seek simplicity, plant your feet firmly, and flick on that flashlight. FOCUS ON WHAT IS IN YOUR CONTROL.
You can’t control a new COVID variant or some overzealous policymakers or the consequences of the last couple of years.
But, you know what you CAN control?
- You CAN control how organized your ChapterBuilder account is.
- You CAN control the ways in which you’re driving leads onto your list.
- You CAN control how thoughtfully you’re reaching out to people.
- You CAN control whether your chapter has a responsible selection plan.
- You CAN control how inclusive and equitable your growth plan is.
- You CAN control a 21 day approach to growth.
- You CAN control how you build relationships with non-members.
- You CAN control three simple actions that drive results.
- You CAN control how prepared you are for the questions you’ll get from prospects
Focus on what you can control.