April 23, 2012 No comments Article
by Shira Tober
87% of Pinterest users are women. Why not use Pinterest to help our women’s organizations grow. Here’s the plan for a Pinterest-style activity to drive names onto your Names List:
- 6-8 large Poster Boards and designate them as Themed Boards
- Markets of assorted colors
- LOTS of old Magazines
- Set up shop at a fairly congested area of campus (student union, library, quad, gymnasium, etc)
- Have a table and all your materials for the Pinterest boards
- Don’t stand behind the table with a random sign announcing what you’re doing
- Stand in front of the table
- SAY HI TO STRANGERS AS THEY WALK BY
- OFFER A HANDSHAKE OR A HIGH FIVE
- INVITE THEM TO “PIN” SOMETHING TO THE BOARDS
- While they are decorating, engage in conversation, get to know them, and have reason to get contact information and follow up-encourage people to look through the magazines, color, draw, or write words/phrases/quotes/etc
- REASON FOR CONTACT INFORMATION EXCHANGE/FOLLOW UP: “Thanks so much for participating in our real life Pinterest Board. Once all the boards are decorated we are going to frame them and hang them out. I’d love to send you a picture of the finished project or even have you over to look at it. Why don’t we exchange emails so I can keep you posted?”
- Follow through and finish boards. Frame them and hang them. (And post pictures of them on Pinterest).
- Send follow up email/text/call to your new friend and invite them to come see the finished product.
- Continue to build a relationship.
- Share about your organization.
- Potentially recruit.
- Rinse and repeat.